Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Monday, June 4, 2012

I Have Arrived!

I have arrived at my second home...UMCOR (United Methodist Commottee on Relief) at Sager Brown in Baldwin, Louisiana.





As some of you may remember I was just here for five weeks at the end of January, but my husband and I are normally here for June and July. I know, the hottest months of the year, right? Wrong! Actually it's cooler here than at home in Arkansas sometimes.

As we drive onto the campus we travel a long driveway




where we see our dorm/apartment straight ahead, the dorm/apartment where I stayed this winter on the left,




And this peaceful spot on the right.




We began our volunteer work on Sunday, Checking in 27 weekly volunteers who came from Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma to work in the depot or in the local community. Normally we have about 50 folks each week but for some reason the numbers are a little down right now.

We have a great two room apartment that, over the last couple of years, I have helped decorate.














This is a pretty old concrete block building but they keep it in great shape.

Lots of remodeling took place this winter in the office area where I work and look at what I ended up with!



A great place to sew. :)

Sager Brown has a very interesting history. In another post I'll tell you a bit of that but now I must try out that sewing area!




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

13 comments:

FabricFascination said...

How nice to be home again. Everything looks very welcoming.

Barb said...

I enjoyed your pictures....and wonderful that you have a sewing space.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Wait a minute! It has been a year already! I swear you just left there. Wow, does time fly.

Lois Evensen said...

What a great place to relax and sew. :)

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Looks like a wonderful place to be!
xx

Peggy Lee said...

Very nice sewing spot!
Your little place there is looking cozy.

Hope the weather stays somewhat comfortable for you there.

Julie Fukuda said...

Aaah, it pays to keep volunteers happy!

Linda said...

That's a great place to stay while volunteering! So glad you have a good place to sew, also.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's good to see pictures of where you are. And my compliments to you and your husband for the dedication you have shown to volunteer like this each year. What giving people you are! Do find time to enjoy yourself, especially that nice little sewing spot.

Teresa said...

I always kind of envy you the summer at the camp. Can't wait until I am retired and can do something like that too. Your sewing area looks perfect.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've met a lot of UMCOR volunteers, especially when we were in our last appointment. We had the MERCI center in our backyard, which served as an outpost for the NC Conference missions' work. So glad you're able to spend some time with this wonderful group of people. Blessings.

~elaine

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That is so sweet.
You are a blessing.

Adrienne said...

So happy you are back at the place you love! Thank you for the tour - it's nice to see where you are and know you've made a difference in your sweet, little home away from home!
~Adrienne~