Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

We try to come to The Rocky Mountain National Park at Estes Park, Colorado every year - we love it that much.  It's been two years this time since we visited here and I see a few changes.  The pine beetles have killed a huge number of pines but I know that's nature's way.  Some day there will be a forest fire that will eliminate the dead ones and new ones will sprout up.  It will take years - it won't happen in my lifetime - but someday the forest will look just as it has the last few million years.  Meanwhile it's still stunning beyond belief.
We've seen amazing sunny days where it started out at 26 degrees in the morning but by noon it was 80!
The sunsets still take my breath away.

These two pictures were taken late one evening after a beautiful sunny day when the clouds descended unexpectedly and dumped snow on the mountains.

We had driven over the mountain and were on our way back when the snow started...I was glad we were almost to the bottom because it's a very long way around if you can't get through because of snow!

One of those sunny days I looked up to see jet trails forming a cross in the sky, almost as if God were signing His handiwork.















Another change we saw this year was that there were fewer elk down in the meadows.  I've been told that because of overpopulation there was a large elk hunt recently, which took the numbers down some.  But I tend to think we saw fewer because it was warmer than usual and they aren't quite all the way into the rutting season yet.  But there still plenty of them roaming around - bulls with their harems!




We were treated to a wonderful visit with this guy this year - the first time we've seen a bear here.  He ate berries about a hundred yards from the road for over an hour, totally oblivious to his many admirers standing with cameras and binoculars just down the hill.
This beautiful bird joined us for a picnic lunch in the park one day.  He was quite demanding, chattering away when we didn't feed him as quickly as he wanted.  We only gave up a crumb or two of bread but it was clear he was used to having his meals catered by the many visitors.

A little hard to see but this is Mama Moose and Baby!


This has been a great trip with my sister...we don't get nearly enough time together!  Her Mike was our picture taker so I didn't get a picture of him.  Sorry Mike!
Note the dress - my husband, Jerry, in a short sleeved shirt and me in an undershirt, a long sleeved tee shirt and a fleece jacket.  Typical!

And this is me saying Bye Ya'll...I may be in Colorado but I'm still southern!

18 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely photos! I was fascinated that you got a pic of the Stellar Jay - they are just so beautiful.

JudyCinNC said...

Wonderful pictures of your trip to Rocky Mtn National Park - Estes Park happens to be one of our all-time favorites. We retired and moved from Colorado to NC nine years ago. Thanks for sharing. Judy C

Gail said...

Wonderful pictures...

Glad you had a great time.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lucky you to see the bear we didn't= glad you made it through the snow ok. We would have preferred snow over the fog we had.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Love Bears All Things said...

Beautiful photos. I'm glad you shared it with us. Looks like a great place to visit.
On our one trip to Colorado, we went through snow and sleet on a mountain pass. It can be a little scary.
Mama Bear

Ray and Jeanne said...

Great photos! Quite a wildlife trip - one doesn't always get to see moose and bear in RMNP. Glad you are there - enjoying one of our favorite places!

Tracy P. said...

Those are just gorgeous! I really want to go there. Wish I could spend a month or more touring the national parks of the western U.S. They are so amazing!!

Carol said...

Lovely pictures, Marlene. Thanks for sharing! Glad you made it through the snow and all safely.

Carol (NJ)

FlourishingPalms said...

Thanks for sharing your pretty sites. I just did the same on my blog, about southern Utah, where we've just returned home from! It looks like you're having a wonderful trip. I love that picture of you and your sis. It's very special. Continue to enjoy yourself.

Michelle said...

Enjoy your Colorado stay. I enjoyed the pictures. You and your sister look a LOT alike!

Julie Fukuda said...

I love the photos. Thanks so much for sharing mountains and wildlife with us. Mt Fuji just got its first coat of snow this weekend ... a bit earlier than but just as pretty.

Sparky said...

oh there you are...great photos and you all look sew relaxed and happy and with winter peaking around the corner..your hearts will be warmed at these candid shots..

FabricFascination said...

Beautiful pictures. I especially like the one of you and your sister. Quite an unusual bird, I've never seen one like that. I got a chuckle at the difference between your attire in the picture of your husband and you. In my household, he is the one who is usually cold.

paulette said...

Gorgeous pictures...thanks for sharing!
P

Carrie P. said...

Oh, so pretty. The little bit of northern Colorado that we drove through was very pretty. I love mountains there too.
Wow, look at all the different wild life.

BarbCarol said...

I stole the 3 people pictures from this post. They only print in a very small format, so Ma wants you to send her a print (she won't store photos on her computer) of the pic of you and Sherry Lynn.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful photos! That is so neat that you saw a bear! I am like you Marlene, I always have a sweatshirt nearby and once I start wearing a undershirt for fall it doesn't come off till summer. My husband will be wearing a short sleeve shirt.
Quilting by the River

molly said...

Great pics Marlene! So much wildlife.....I LOVE Colorado, especially the wild flowers.