Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mission Trip - Day Four

Day four of the mission trip was another day of sewing - and you know I had a wonderful time. This first picture is in the new sewing room built 2 years ago by volunteers. Ellen (one of the long-term volunteers) is shown here where I've been working this week. Long-term volunteers stay 2 or 3 months and serve in a variety of ways. Ellen has been here November and December and has been in charge of the sewing room. How cool is that! Her husband, Ted, is working out in the warehouse unpacking boxes as they are received from the many churches that send their donations here. That navy fabric you see here is what we made the drapes for the stage out of. Well I say made, really it's almost made. Today as I was halfway through serging the bottom so we could hem them the serger quit. We have three sergers in this room and all three quit on us this week! I don't have a serger at home but those of you who do will surely understand when I say the bottom looper thread won't stay threaded and no matter what words I uttered under my breath I couldn't get it rethreaded. And neither could Ellen. Since the hangers for the drapes aren't in we couldn't hang them anyway but I wish we could have finished the hemming.





This sewing room is just wonderful. It has wonderful lighting, rows of sewing machines (all donated Berninas) and sergers (all donated Janomes), two cutting tables, lots of shelves, ironing boards and irons, even a washer and dryer. Ted built a stand with a bar where bolts are placed and can be easily rolled onto the cutting table for cutting. Bolts of fabric (also donated) are used to make school bags, receiving blankets, baby shirts and jackets, and today we even made Christmas stockings to be given to some children here in this area when they hadn out commodities. That's another service offered by this facility.


I'm sure you've notice that I've mentioned "donated" over and over. Everything here is donated by churches and individuals from all over America. And I mean everything from the needles for the sewing machines to the toothpaste that goes in the health kits. Most of the labor is volunteer and care is taken to be kind to our world - they recycle extensively.






UMCOR Sager Brown in Baldwin, Louisiana is making a difference in our world. Last week a large shipment went out to Zimbabwe. Last month a large shipment went to Texas. Doesn't it just make you smile when you think of all the prayers said over the things shipped? When you pick up the newspaper tomorrow and you read all the bad things that are happening in the world, think about this place....it might not make the front page but it's way more important than what those headlines are telling you.










13 comments:

sister sheri said...

I'd pick this as my front page any day!

Michelle said...

What you are doing is so awesome! Bless you, bless you, bless you, Marlene. God is SO smiling down on you right now!
Michelle

Marie Rayner said...

What a lovely and bright sewing room you are getting to sew in on your mission. I am sure that the lovely spirit of all you volunteers that are taking the time to do this only makes it cosier. I so wish that I could do something like this. Sometime to look forward to when I retire perhaps!

Mama said...

Just want you to know how much I'm enjoying your posts from the mission trip. What a blessing you are -- and I know you're receiving, too.

It's front page stuff.

Jan said...

That room is every handicraft persons dream ,and to work with like minded people for such a wonderful cause ,you are to be aplauded ,and are so blessed ,...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

What a sewing room!! And how touching to know it was all donated-amazing indeed.

Val said...

It is so nice to know that there are people like you out there. You will be blessed. Thank you for sharing.

Love Bears All Things said...

Wonderful sewing room and a worthy cause. What a blessing!
Mama Bear

em's scrapbag said...

The sewing room is fabulous. What a great place to spend some time.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a wonderful post! I'm from South Africa so I keep an on what's going on in Zimbabwe - it's heartbreaking. Thank you to your group for all you're doing. I've added you to my Bloglines list - you're a regular visitor to my Blog and I will now be a regular visitor here.

Keep up the good work and I'll look forward to the next food report ..... blueberry cheesecake!!! Yummy!

Grammy Staffy said...

I think what you and the other's are doing is so wonderful. What a great way to start the Christmas season.
I love all of the pictures you have posted. I've read through your last posts. I am happy for the good this mission is doing for the world. God bless all of you. I know that He must be looking down and smiling... after all "He has no hands but our hands" to do His work on earth.

Thank you dear Marlene for your example and for sharing this mission with us. Love, Lura

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying following you around on your mission trip; but on the day you had the shrimp boil I would have gone hungry because I can't even tolerate the smell of shrimp, so having ALL the food flavored with it would have done me in...

Adrienne said...

Oh this sewing room reminds me so much of the one at the mission in Mexico. Everything there is donated, too, so I have a good understanding of what you shared. That is a gorgeous setup for folks like you and me who already love to sew to work to help others.
~Adrienne~