Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Star


Earlier in the week I told you about my husband's class reunion that we attended last weekend. I mentioned two dancing couples but only told you about one. Now, here's the rest of the story. I was what I consider a lucky kid. I was very shy and changing schools would have been traumatizing to me. But I never had to do that. I went to the same grammar school from grade 1 to grade 6, changed with all my classmates to a junior high, and then on to high school. In high school there were new kids that came in from another junior high but since all my friends were with me it was ok. In grammar school with me, but one grade ahead, was a guy I'll call M. M was sort of like me, quiet and shy. He was really, really smart, not very big and not very athletic. But at that time in our society that was ok. It was nice to be athletic but not everyone was expected to be. I knew who he was then but he was older than me and a boy...well you know in grammar school you didn't really talk to boys much, especially an older one!




M went on to college and further and became a professional - a field I won't name because I don't want to in any way identify him since he doesn't know I'm writing this. :) But it's a profession any of us would be proud for our children to aspire to. In other words, he's been very successful in life. At other reunions he's been present but still quiet and reserved. He married a really sweet girl after college and they had two sons.




At this reunion when we ran into him again he was a completely different person. I think he had more fun than anyone there! He visited with everyone multiple times, he laughed and talked and laughed some more. And when the music started he and his wife danced every dance. Now I can't honestly say he's a great dancer but what he lacked in skill he made up in enthusiasm. We couldn't help but smile when we watched them - they were both so full of joy. At a break in the music I was talking with his wife and she shared with me that M had cancer several years ago, and a recurrence two years after that, but that he'd been clear for nearly 10 years now. She had just told me that when the music started again and her sweet husband grabbed her hand and said, "Let's go!"
Photo by Flickr



Today M is my Sunday Star. I applaud his decision, and mark my words it is a decision, to live life to the fullest every single day. He faced death and this time it passed him by. Instead of living with caution, watching every little ache and pain and wondering if "it" was back, he chooses to dance. He inspires me. He lifts my spirits. He gives me hope. All because he chooses to dance.

17 comments:

Joyful said...

WOW - I loved this! It reminded me of Genny's encouragement this month with her "One month" challenge at "MyCup2Yours".

We need to daily choose living!

God has called me to dance with Him and this post reminds me again of His invitation.

Blessings,
Joy

Michelle said...

Wow. What an inspiring story. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Gene Black said...

That is such a lovely story. WE should all chose to dance. There are two songs that are close to my heart that mention dancing.
"I hope you dance" -Lee Ann Womack
and
"Come from the Heart" (....dance, like nobody's watching....") -Kathy Mattea.
I think I love them for this very reason - they remind us to choose life and live it with joy.

Thanks for the reminder.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What an appropriate person to honor today! I have done a lot of work with cancer patients and you are so right - it is a decision and not all make the decision he made. I don't pretend to know what they face, always wondering IF it will come back, but some are just able to put it aside and live. A lesson for all of us since none of us know what tomorrow or for that matter, the next minute will bring. We can always choose what happens to us, only how we let it affect us! Thanks for another wonderful post.

Kathy said...

What a wonderful story! I just made 5 years of being cancer-freee and I TOTALLY understand where he is coming from. This is THE person who should be your Sunday Star and everyones 'everyday star' to live life to the fullest!!!!!

Salem Stitcher said...

That is a wonderful story! It's also very timely for me. It's time to dance!

Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Great Post!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Marlene, I really like this Sunday Star, look forward on reading them and it's such an inspiration to us all. We should live as your Sunday Stars.
Hugs,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Very good story. Thank you for sharing.

Lindi said...

We should all live like that every day!
Beautiful.
Ronan Keating does a lovely version of "I hope you dance".

Tracy P. said...

That is super sweet--love it!

Have a great week, Blessings Marlene!

KatBouska said...

He's inspired ME and I don't even know him!! What a great story!

Julia said...

Wonderful story!
My Dh had a terrible accident earlier this year, he's lucky to still be here with us, so I too think live life to the fullest, one never knows whats around the corner...
I too am inspired..hugs Julia

molly said...

Great story! Did I hear a phrase somewhere---"Live like you mean it?"
M certainly is; we should all do likewise. None of us knows how much or how little time we have.....

Marie Rayner said...

Wonderful post and story!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Your words have blessed my life and I am sure many others. Life life like you are dying. Don't waste a single day, for it will never come again.

Dawn said...

Oh, Marlene. You are so inspiring & lift my spirits with your tender, endearing posts. Thanks for sharing with us.

Janet, said...

Very inspiring. Everyone should try to live their fullest, because you never know what tomorrow will bring. that's hard to do,tho,seems like we always find something to mope around or complain about. We should all be thankful for what we have.